Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office [x]
- EDUCAUSE Review (4)
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) (1)
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Net Neutrality Rules Take Effect
June 15, 2015
As reported by numerous media outlets (for examples, see here and here ) as well as the Federal Communications Commission itself, a federal court denied the request to block the FCC fr…
- TEACH Act Update
June 5, 2015
Last October, I posted about the agreement between higher education associations (including EDUCAUSE), the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), and the Association of American Publishers (…
- FCC to Rule on Auto-Text/Auto-Call Liability
June 2, 2015
(EDUCAUSE telecommunications policy advisor, John Windhausen of Telepoly Consulting, provided the primary content for this post.) The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is scheduled t…
- Higher Ed/Library Views Impact Final Net Neutrality Order
March 19, 2015
The FCC recently posted the full text of the network neutrality order it passed in late February. (Please see “ FCC Votes to Restore Strong Net Neutrality Protections .”) An outline …
- FCC Votes to Restore Strong Net Neutrality Protections
March 4, 2015
(UPDATE, 03/19/15: Please see " Higher Ed/Library Views Impact Final Net Neutrality Order " for information on how higher education/library concerns mentioned below are addressed in t…
- U.S. Dept. of Ed. Links State Authorization and Gainful Employment Regs.
October 31, 2014
Russ Poulin, Deputy Director of Research and Analysis at WCET, has posted an initial update on the U.S. Department of Education's new gainful employment regulations and the suprising link th…
- Higher Ed Raises Concerns, Works with Proponents of the TEACH Act
October 23, 2014
In September, EDUCAUSE and a number of other higher education associations released an analysis of the Technology, Equality, and Accessibility in College and Higher Education (TEACH) Ac…
- EDUCAUSE Advances Net Neutrality Principles, Positions
July 23, 2014
Summary: Earlier this year, the FCC launched a new net neutrality rule-making process to restore protections lost when its previous rules were overturned. EDUCAUSE joined with several higher educ…
- DMCA Multi-Stakeholder Process Focuses on Standardized Notice
May 21, 2014
Summary: The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) have chartered a multi-stakeholder process to pursue voluntary impr…
- EDUCAUSE Policy in 2014
April 29, 2014
Last October, EDUCAUSE posted an update on the evolution of our policy work. Now that we are well into 2014, we wanted to provide members and other stakeholders with information on our progre…