Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Designing a Future of Digital Engagement
September 9, 2014
“The future of higher education is more than a digital replica of yesterday’s campus or even today’s classroom. The building blocks of our future higher education institutions are physica…
- Future Slant: Business Value
September 9, 2014
By Diana G. Oblinger and Joanne Dehoney This is the fourth in a blog series describing five “metatrends,” drawn from a review of articles in industry IT press, that affect CIOs in all …
- Top 5 Security Awareness Resources for NCSAM
September 5, 2014
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month . In anticipation of security fest 2014, we thought we would share our top 5 picks for security awareness resources. Cybersecurity …
September 4, 2014
[grat-i-tood, -tyood] noun the quality or feeling of being grateful or thankful, as in "He expressed his gratitude to everyone who worked so hard." Regardless…
- Future Slant: Technology and Work
August 22, 2014
Diana Oblinger and Joanne Dehoney This is the third in a blog series describing five “metatrends,” drawn from a review of articles in industry IT press, that affect CIOs in all IT se…
- Breaking the Barriers Between High School and Higher Ed
August 18, 2014
What is one of the biggest barriers for students transitioning from high school to college? As it turns out, it’s not test scores or grades; it’s what’s in their bank account. How…
- Top 10 Blogs about Postsecondary Next Gen Learning
August 15, 2014
What blogs do you read and rely on to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in – or speculations about – next generation learning? My NGLC colleague Stefanie Blouin surveyed the K-12 c…
- CIOs and Campus IT: Summer Technology Projects, by Theresa Rowe
August 6, 2014
Theresa Rowe is CIO at Oakland University. Summer is a busy and exciting time for advancement of new tech initiatives and tech renewal projects. Campus CIOs generally expect to handle …
- Completing the Circle
August 5, 2014
As IT leaders, our singular focus shouldn’t be to partner with the business or to align our work with the strategic goals of the enterprise; it should be to develop our staff into business prof…
- Postsecondary Trending Now: Competency-Based Education
August 4, 2014
When the Chronicle of Higher Education and Inside Higher Ed both report on a development on the same day, you can bet it’s “trending now.” That happened last week when the US Department of …