Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- "Open Source: Community, Collaboration, Commitment"
January 13, 2006
This is the podcast of the third general session of EDUCAUSE's 2006 Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference. This session was recorded on Thursday, January 12, 2006. The session featured panelists …
- "Sharing and Fairness: Rights and Responsibilities"
January 11, 2006
This is the podcast of the second general session of EDUCAUSE's 2006 Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference. This session was recorded on Wednesday, January 11, 2006. The session featured panelist…
- "Technologies That Rock" by Richard N. Katz
January 11, 2006
Hello from the 2006 Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference of EDUCAUSE. This is a podcast of the first general session from Tuesday, January 10, 2006 delivered by Richard N. Katz, Vice President of E…
- 2007 Enterprise Conference: An Interview with Terri-Lynn B. Thayer, Brown University
June 15, 2007
In this podcast, we feature a 6 minute interview with Terri-Lynn B. Thayer , Acting Vice President of Computing and Information Services at Brown University. Thayer presented a session entitle…
- 2007 Enterprise Conference: The Adaptable University
June 15, 2007
This podcast features a keynote address from the 2007 Enterprise Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Our speaker is H. David Lambert , Vice President for Information Services and Chief Informatio…
- 2007 Enterprise Conference: The Changing Role of Enterprise Systems: From EDI to Internet Icons
June 14, 2007
The opening keynote address from the 2007 EDUCAUSE Enterprise Conference in Chicago, Illinois. This speech was given by Kenneth C. Green , Founding Director of the Campus Computing Project …
- 2007 Policy Conference: Why Higher Education Advocacy Matters on IT Policy
June 5, 2007
The closing keynote speech at the 2007 Educause Policy Conference was delivered by James X. Dempsey , Policy Director at the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington, DC. The key conc…
- 2007 Policy Conference: Identity Crisis
June 22, 2007
The opening keynote speech at the 2007 Educause Policy Conference was delivered by Jim Harper , Director of Information Policy Studies at the Cato Institute. Through public policy debate,…
- 2007 Policy Conference: Year In Review
June 5, 2007
The 2007 Policy Conference kicked off with a top-ten style list of Policy Issues currently facing higher education. This entertaining and insightful list was compiled and delivered by Tracy Mit…
- A chat with Rich Griffin about the Open Student Television Network
October 27, 2005
In this recording, Vidya Ananthanarayanan sits down with Rich Giffin for an intriguing look at the Open Student Television Network . Let's listen in as he discusses their technolog…