Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments
January 5, 2011
In this white paper, we outline the privacy issues relevant to using cloud-based instructional tools or cloud-based teaching and learning environments for faculty members and those supporting ins…
- ELI Releases New White Paper on Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments
January 6, 2011
ELI has released a new white paper, Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments , by Veronica Diaz (EDUCAUSE), Joann Martyn Golas (DePaul University), and Su…
- Miami University Fixed Installed Camera policy
November 16, 2010
The University may install observation cameras on University property to protect resources, enhance safety and assist in the educational mission as provided in this policy. …
- 21st Century Technology and Business Practices to be Subject of FTC Privacy Roundtables
September 29, 2009
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced plans to hold three roundtables that will focus on consumer privacy issues. According to the announcement, the purpose of the series of round…
- A Wider World: Youth, Privacy, and Social Networking Technologies
January 1, 2006
Ã‚Â© 2006 Tracy Mitrano. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ …
- Podcast: The Big Brother Dilemma
June 11, 2008
This podcast features a 50 minute keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2008 Enterprise Conference. The speech, " The Big Brother Dilemma ," is by Gregory A. Jackson , Vice President &…
- 2007 Policy Conference: Year In Review
June 5, 2007
The 2007 Policy Conference kicked off with a top-ten style list of Policy Issues currently facing higher education. This entertaining and insightful list was compiled and delivered by Tracy Mit…
- Social Media: Understanding the Policy, Privacy, and Legal Issues Surrounding Social Networking Services
October 13, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
College students, faculty, and staff frequently use social media to communicate and share information. This presentation will explore a number of the policy, privacy, and legal issues that have eme…
- Security, Privacy, Copyright and Other Institutional Policy Implications of Online Learning
January 25, 2005
A session at the NLII Annual Conference 2005
Important legal, policy, and ethical issues are associated with the delivery of online courses. Many of the situations that arise in online environments are already well covered by existing institu…