Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Cybersecurity [x]
- Policy and Law [x]
- Federal Privacy Law [x]
- Privacy Policies [x]
- Privacy [x]
- Campus Policy and Law (20)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (9)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) (4)
- Policy Development (4)
- Cybersecurity Policy (3)
- 30363 (20)
- Federal Policy and Law (20)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (6)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (4)
- Teaching and Learning (3)
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Information Privacy Revealed
January 28, 2013
Merri Beth Lavagnino is Chief Privacy Officer and Compliance Coordinator at Indiana University. Information privacy is not a technology concept. Long before there were Chief Privacy Offic…
- The Federal Trade Commission Releases Its Final Report on Protecting Consumer Privacy
March 26, 2012
Today, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) released its long awaited consumer privacy report entitled, “ Protecting Consumer Privacy in an Era of Rapid Change .” The report calls on compa…
- The White House Releases Report on Consumer Data Privacy in a Networked World
February 23, 2012
The White House announced today a long awaited report on “Consumer Data Privacy in a Networked World: A Framework for Protecting Privacy and Promoting Innovation in the Global Digital …
- Who Sets E-Mail Rules?
September 12, 2011
U. of Illinois says it is trying to protect privacy and intellectual property, but two national groups see unreasonable limits on free speech. …
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments
January 5, 2011
In this white paper, we outline the privacy issues relevant to using cloud-based instructional tools or cloud-based teaching and learning environments for faculty members and those supporting ins…
- ELI Releases New White Paper on Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments
January 6, 2011
ELI has released a new white paper, Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments , by Veronica Diaz (EDUCAUSE), Joann Martyn Golas (DePaul University), and Su…
- "The Right to Be Let Alone"
February 4, 2010
© 2010 Kent Wada. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa…
- 21st Century Technology and Business Practices to be Subject of FTC Privacy Roundtables
September 29, 2009
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced plans to hold three roundtables that will focus on consumer privacy issues. According to the announcement, the purpose of the series of round…
- FERPA and Campus Security
August 6, 2007
This is a NACUA Notes from August 6, 2007, that discusses the issue of questionable student behavior and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA"). This publication answer…
- Free EDUCAUSE Webcast 10/22/08 on Identity Theft Rules
October 8, 2008
New federal regulations to address identity theft go into effect November 1, 2008, and are likely to affect colleges and universities in nuanced ways. Compliance will require careful study and co…