Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011—Slide Presentation
June 1, 2011
This slide presentation illuminates findings from the ECAR 2011 research of identity management (IdM) practices in higher education . This slide deck can be adapted for presentations within…
- Unexpected Legal Issues Related to Community Building Efforts
January 1, 2003
The University of Central Florida's home-grown community building tool "eCommunity" provides an easy way for faculty and students to see each other's names, e-mails, photos, and…
- "Bag It and Tag It": Implementing a Course-Level Learning Portfolio Using CMS-Based Tools to Document Student Learning When Teaching in Wild, Open Spaces with Cloud-Based Tools (Pilot Program/Emerging Technology)
February 14, 2011
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2011
As more of us adopt cloud-based tools (e.g., blogs, wikis, Google Docs, etc.) for use by students in authentic learning activities, we find ourselves without the student-produced artifacts that we …
- Management and Policy: Mapping HIPAA to the Middleware Layer
February 10, 2005
This session provides an overview of how middleware can be used to address regulatory issues that often span application and organizational boundaries. HIPAA requirements for security and privacy a…