Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) [x]
- Federal Privacy Law [x]
- Privacy Policies [x]
- Students [x]
- Campus Policies (4)
- Campus Policy and Law (4)
- Federal Policy and Law (4)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (4)
- Policy and Law (4)
- Cybersecurity (2)
- Privacy (2)
- Security Management (2)
- Emergency Notification (1)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) (1)
- Planning (1)
- State Policy and Law (1)
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2012, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated February 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- A Fresh Look at FERPA
October 17, 2007
In light of recent incidents, and with another school year now under way, it’s a good time to remind ourselves of our obligations—and rights—under FERPA, the federal statute that governs th…
- FERPA and Campus Security
August 6, 2007
This is a NACUA Notes from August 6, 2007, that discusses the issue of questionable student behavior and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA"). This publication answer…
- University Campus Safety Final Report
January 1, 2007
In light of the recent tragedy at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Florida Governor Charlie Crist signed an executive order April 30, 2007, creating a Gubernat…
- Student Rights
January 1, 2002
Students rights at the University of Rochester includes information on FERPA. Students rights at the University of Rochester includes information on FE…