Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- FERPA Unconstitutional?
September 13, 2012
The executive director of a group that provides legal support and education for student journalists has posted an interesting analysis arguing that the Supreme Court's invalidation of the Me…
- Who Sets E-Mail Rules?
September 12, 2011
U. of Illinois says it is trying to protect privacy and intellectual property, but two national groups see unreasonable limits on free speech. …
- ELI Releases New White Paper on Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments
January 6, 2011
ELI has released a new white paper, Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments , by Veronica Diaz (EDUCAUSE), Joann Martyn Golas (DePaul University), and Su…
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments
January 5, 2011
In this white paper, we outline the privacy issues relevant to using cloud-based instructional tools or cloud-based teaching and learning environments for faculty members and those supporting ins…
- Confidentiality of Student Records
January 26, 2010
Confidentiality of Student Records and FERPA at Atlantic Community College. Confidentiality of Student Records and FERPA at Atlantic Community …
- Ferreting Out Sensitive Data
March 10, 2009
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference 2009
FERPA, HIPAA, and red flag rules: we're swimming in an alphabet soup of federal regulations related to information privacy and prevention of identity theft. Learn how MIT approached the proble…
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
August 7, 2008
Seattle University's policy regarding the confidentiality of student records. Seattle University's policy regarding the confidentiali…
- Lessons Learned from the April 16, 2007, Tragedy at Virginia Tech
November 5, 2007
On April 16, 2007, a Virginia Tech student shot and killed 32 faculty and students and wounded 25 others before killing himself in an academic building on campus. The university is still dealing …
- A Fresh Look at FERPA
October 17, 2007
In light of recent incidents, and with another school year now under way, it’s a good time to remind ourselves of our obligations—and rights—under FERPA, the federal statute that governs th…
- FERPA and Campus Security
August 6, 2007
This is a NACUA Notes from August 6, 2007, that discusses the issue of questionable student behavior and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA"). This publication answer…