Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Agreements or Contracts [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Federal Privacy Law [x]
- Confidentiality Agreement or Statement (2)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (2)
- Federal Policy and Law (2)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (2)
- Policy and Law (2)
- Staffing (2)
- Acceptable and Responsible Use Policies (1)
- Campus Policies (1)
- Campus Policy and Law (1)
- Cybersecurity (1)
- Data Security (1)
- Security Management (1)
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2012, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated February 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Template Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreements
March 2, 2012
The Texas State University at San Marcos IT Security department developed the following templates for use as appropriate to the situation. Sample Employee Non-Disclosure Agr…
- Confidentiality Agreement & Security Policy
January 1, 2004
A sample Confidentiality Agreement from Grand Valley State University. A sample Confidentiality Agreement from Grand Valley State University. …