Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Protecting the Security of Research Data
November 8, 2011
The effective protection and management of research data has become a hot topic in U.S. higher education. Funding agencies increasingly require data management plans as part of grant submittals…
- Privacy and Confidentiality: Holding IT Service Providers Accountable
November 3, 2009
This ECAR research bulletin addresses the data privacy issues that must be covered by contractual language when entering into an agreement for externally provided IT services or for external con…
- Information Confidentiality
March 11, 2009
Protecting information confidentiality is a critical security objective for all colleges and universities. Institutions must deploy confidentiality controls in addition to security controls, and…
- Regulatory Compliance Training: Public Jobs, Private Data
April 15, 2008
This research bulletin details the procedures and processes undertaken by the University of Minnesota to ensure that all employees, from student workers and custodial staff through senior researc…
- A Framework for HIPAA IT Security Compliance: Leveraging for Security
December 7, 2004
This research bulletin describes a functional framework for higher education compliance with the HIPAA IT security final rule. The framework, which can be adapted for individual universities, inc…
- Leveraging IT Infrastructure for HIPAA Training
July 6, 2004
Faced with the challenge of quickly developing, delivering, tracking, and reporting customized HIPAA training for 17,000 workers and students, the University of Minnesota leveraged important piec…
- Life with HIPAA: A Primer for Higher Education
April 1, 2003
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) includes complex legislation that impacts higher education but was not specifically written with academic institutions in m…