Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Privacy and Security Initiatives and Recommendations from the U.S. Department of Education
February 26, 2013
Key Takeaways At EDUCAUSE 2012, U.S. Department of Education speakers discussed new privacy and security initiatives, as well as offering recommendations on navigating privacy ef…
- Amassing Student Data and Dissipating Privacy Rights
January 28, 2013
Marc Rotenberg is Executive Director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) in Washington, D.C. He teaches Information Privacy Law at Georgetown University Law Center. Khali…
- Information Privacy Revealed
January 28, 2013
Merri Beth Lavagnino is Chief Privacy Officer and Compliance Coordinator at Indiana University. Information privacy is not a technology concept. Long before there were Chief Privacy Offic…
- Enterprise IT, E-Learning, and Transformation: Prospects in Higher Education
October 3, 2012
Which way to Millinocket? " Well, you can go west to the next intersection ," a Mainer explains, ". . . get onto the turnpike, go north through the toll gate at Augusta, …
- "The Right to Be Let Alone"
February 4, 2010
© 2010 Kent Wada. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa…
- The Internet at Risk: The Need for Higher Education Advocacy
October 19, 2007
© 2007 James X. Dempsey. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ ). EDUCAUSE…
- Privacy Protection and Compliance in Higher Education: The Role of the CPO
January 1, 2006
© 2006 Lauren Steinfeld and Kathleen Sutherland Archuleta EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 41, no. 5 (September/October 2006): 62–71 Lauren Steinfeld serves as Chief Privacy Officer at the Univ…
- Identity, Privacy, and Information Technology
January 1, 2002
The author discusses how the rapid advancement in information technology has taken a toll on individual security, identity and privacy. The author disc…
- 9/11 Legislation and Technology: The Academic Impact
January 1, 2002
The authors discuss the impact of the USA PATRIOT Act on the higher education community. The authors discuss the impact of the USA PATRIOT Act on the h…