Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- The Unified IT Service Catalog: Your One-Stop Shop
August 11, 2014
Key Takeaways As IT becomes more pervasive in all aspects of higher education, IT's customers need a user-friendly way of learning about and requesting IT services. A…
- Why You Should Champion Your Service Desk
August 11, 2014
UCISA, in association with Cherwell Software and the Service Desk Institute, surveyed U.K. higher education IT service desks to better understand their issues and challenges and showcase their…
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies
August 18, 2014
EDUCAUSE Technology Research in the Academic Community This research can catalyze conversations among IT professionals about how to better serve their constituents; among institutional leaders…
- IT Restructuring: Challenges and Opportunities
July 14, 2014
Key Takeaways Driven by factors ranging from decreased financial support to changes in technology , IT restructuring is on the rise in higher education. Restructuri…
- The IT Service Organization for a Post-Enterprise World
July 14, 2014
The technology-service marketplace is increasingly focused either below the enterprise (on the consumer) or above the enterprise (on the cloud). In the space between the consumer and the c…
- How to Excel at Research Computing in Times of Diminishing Resources, Growing Demand, and Expanding Possibilities
April 30, 2014
For three days in January 2014, more than a hundred thought leaders met in Tempe, Arizona, to discuss the present and future challenges and opportunities for IT’s support of research . Recom…
- Critical Success Factors of Technological Innovation
June 2, 2014
Key Takeaways Higher-education institutions are under increasing pressure to innovate with technology and disseminate the results , but it can prove challenging to please diverse …
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2013 Almanacs
February 27, 2014
These two-page, easy-to-scan summaries distill CDS data in a variety of categories that include IT Financing, IT Staffing, Support Services, and many other service areas. All Non-Speciali…
- 2013 CDS Executive Summary Report
February 18, 2014
The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) provides higher education CIOs and senior IT leaders with the benchmarks they need to make strategic decisions about IT at their institutions. Each ye…
- Central IT Support Services
August 12, 2013
This CDS Spotlight focuses on data from the 2012 Core Data Service to better understand how higher education institutions provide central IT support services . Information provided for this sp…