Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011â€”Key Findings
June 1, 2011
This document presents the key findings from Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011. This ECAR research study illuminates findings from the 2010 survey of identity management (IdM) …
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011â€”Roadmap
June 1, 2011
This ECAR roadmap synthesizes the important issues and recommended actions drawn from the study Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011 , by Mark C. Sheehan and Cedric Bennett, with…
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011 Report
June 1, 2011
Key Findings Higher education has made substantial progress in the last five years, but many institutions are still struggling to deliver the full benefits of IdM. Institutions that report the…
- The Use of Social Security Numbers in California Colleges and Universities
July 1, 2010
The author's stated intention was "to minimize both the collection and storage of [the SSN] at colleges and universities, given the odds of it being released to unauthorized viewers, b…
- ITRC Breach Report 2009 Final
January 13, 2010
ITRC collects information about data breaches made public via reliable media and notification lists from various governmental agencies. There are breaches that occurred in 2009 that never made pu…
- The FTC's â€œRed Flag Regulationsâ€ To Combat Identity Theft Go Into Effect On November 1, 2008
July 14, 2008
This is a legal alert concerning the Red Flag Regulations that go into effect on November 1, 2008 This is a legal alert concerning the Red Flag R…
- FTC's Red Flag Rule Likely to Affect Colleges
September 23, 2008
NACUBO's brief opinion concerning how the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)'s Red Flags Rule applies to Colleges and Universities as Creditors. …
- Information Security Governance: Standardizing the Practice of Information Security
August 19, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the trend to use a variety of risk assessment frameworks and standards to create an information security program that is sufficiently comprehensive for colle…
- The University's Role in Advancing Data Encryption, Part 2
November 2, 2007
"Identity theft is one of the fastest-growing cyber-crimes, and, as a result, 38 states have identity theft legislation -- with some states using encryption as a safe haven," said South…
- Training Your Staff to Protect SIS Data
September 5, 2007
"No matter how robust your firewall, trained faculty and staff are your first line of defense against system breaches." "No matter…