Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Blogs, Briefs, Case Studies and Papers [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- 2016 Horizon Report
February 4, 2016
Produced by ELI and NMC each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to…
- Personal Response Systems and Student Engagement
January 25, 2016
A professor who wanted a mechanism for students to share their learning experiences , particularly a tool with the potential for anonymized feedback, implemented a mobile personal respons…
- Engaging on Purpose in Higher Education
January 11, 2016
If we can engage on purpose all members of the higher education sector, we're more likely to make the most of the golden age of learning. If…
- What If All of Our Wildest Dreams Come True?
January 11, 2016
What if all of our wildest dreams come true, flooding the nation's community colleges with students heavily subsidized by state governments or the federal government? …
- Higher Education’s Top 10 Strategic Technologies for 2016
January 11, 2016
Related Resources ECAR Working Group Technology Spotlights — Throughout 2016, community members in the ECAR Working Groups will publish reports that will help us better unders…
- Mobile Apps in Higher Education: Developing an Institutional Governance Strategy
December 18, 2015
The extraordinary success of apps for mobile devices has brought a new dimension to the higher education environment. To provide services to and engage with constituents , higher education has…
- 2016 Planning Guide for Cloud Computing and Virtualization
December 8, 2015
This Gartner planning guide advises IT organizations to prioritize implementation of a "cloud first" strategy. Public cloud services are now essential for increasing institutions’ dig…
- Unified Communications in Higher Education: Responding to New Risks
November 17, 2015
New unified communications (UC) capabilities and the increased desire for richer collaboration experiences have led to a fundamental shift in the technology we use for communication. For …
- Responsive Web Design in Higher Ed
November 9, 2015
Key Takeaways People interact daily with higher education institutions using mobile devices, often getting their first impressions from the resulting user experience. A responsive…
- Science DMZ: ECAR-WG Technology Spotlight
November 11, 2015
Science DMZ provides a network-architecture approach optimized for high-performance scientific applications and the transfer of large research data sets over high-speed wide area ne…