Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Building the Next Generation of Cyber Professionals, One at a Time
October 28, 2015
Student workers bring IT the benefit of having bright young minds embedded in the security organization, and they get a friendly and supportive atmosphere to develop good work habits and learn ab…
- Cyber Liability Insurance FAQ
September 28, 2015
The interest in cyber liability insurance has increased in response to high-profile data breaches making headline news. The market is evolving and nonstandard. The terms and conditions are comple…
- User Authentication Technologies Beyond the Password
July 20, 2015
User authentication is an essential element of modern IT systems, yet understanding options and balancing requirements remain complex. One-time passwords, smart cards, certificates, biometrics an…
- Password Managers
July 14, 2015
Learn more about password manager tools, who might use these tools and why, as well as the benefits and risks to consider when using these tools. This resource also includes a list of technologie…
- CDS Spotlight: Information Security
June 26, 2015
This research bulletin uses data from Modules 1 and 7 of the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service to examine the current state of information security in higher education. Using an infographic format, …
- Resources for Presidents and Senior Executives at AASCU Institutions
April 9, 2015
EDUCAUSE has customized the following resources for AASCU institutions by special arrangement. Key Questions Briefs These briefs are designed to help senior institutional leaders optimi…
- 2014 CDS Benchmarking Report
February 25, 2015
Traditionally, the Core Data Service annual report has summarized the state of higher education IT; however, the strength of CDS data are shown through their benchmarking capability. To serve…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2014 Almanacs
February 18, 2015
These two-page, easy-to-scan summaries distill CDS data in a variety of categories that include IT financials, staffing, and services, and many other service areas. All Non-Specialized U.S.…
- The Top 3 Strategic Information Security Issues
January 12, 2015
Joanna Lyn Grama is IT GRC and Cybersecurity Program Director, EDUCAUSE. Valerie Vogel is Program Manager, EDUCAUSE. Visit the EDUCAUSE top 10 IT issues web page for additional resourc…
- Achieving the (Often Delicate) Balance between Technology and Information Security
January 12, 2015
Ronald L. Vaughn, President of the University of Tampa since January 1995 and holder of the Max H. Hollingsworth Chair of American Enterprise, previously served as Coordinator of the Depa…