Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- IT Security Questionnaire/IT Standards and Requirements Questionnaire
July 14, 2014
The University of Missouri IT Standards and Requirements Questionnaire (ITSRQ), currently in draft form, is predominantly focused on SaaS solutions although it can be readily adapted for other pu…
- Evaluating Digital Services: A Visitors and Residents Approach
February 19, 2014
This JISC infoKit contains advice on evaluating the services university libraries offer to users. The focus is primarily on digital/online services but set within the broader context of more trad…
- Browsing the Web More Securely and More Privately With Firefox On Your Mac
April 28, 2014
This document is meant to help moderately technical users who are security- and privacy-focused make progress toward achieving online security and privacy goals when using an Apple Mac with the M…
- MOOCs: Expectations and Reality
May 12, 2014
This Columbia University study of MOOCs from the perspective of institutions of higher education includes an investigation of definitions and characteristics of MOOCs, their origins, institutiona…
- 2014 ACUTA/NACUBO State of Resnet Report
April 7, 2014
The 2014 report is a comprehensive survey designed to measure the broad variation in practice and policy within higher education and lay the groundwork for long-term trend analysis and benchmarki…
- The Value and Impact of Data Sharing and Curation: A synthesis of three recent studies of UK research data centres
April 3, 2014
This report from JISC, discusses curation and long term preservation of research data at several UK universities. It provides a summary of the key findings and reflects on: The methods t…
- Recent Big-Data Struggles Are ‘Birthing Pains,’ Researchers Say
April 2, 2014
"Harvesting information from a tool like Twitter may not be as simple as first thought, but the possibilities are still endless." "…
- Project DAVID: Vocation and Reinvention in Liberal Arts Colleges
January 31, 2014
Project DAVID is about showcasing strategic reinvention underway across higher education. Phase one, focusing primarily on a set liberal arts colleges and universities that are part of the Evange…
- Learning Analytics: Readiness and Rewards
December 5, 2013
"This paper introduces the relatively new field of learning analytics, first by considering the relevant meanings of both “learning” and “analytics,” and then by looking at two main …
- The Maturing of the MOOC
September 26, 2013
This survey, from the United Kindom Department of Business, Innovation and Skills, of MOOC and ODL literature aims to capture the state of knowledge and opinion about MOOCs and ODL, how they are …