Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- ELI Online Focus Session (Learning Analytics) Collaborative Notes
April 12, 2012
This document represents the collective notes that were taken by the teaching and learning community during the ELI Online Spring Focus Session on learning analytics. …
- Teaching Without Walls: Life Beyond the Lecture
September 14, 2009
Malcolm Brown , EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, will moderate this web seminar with Michelle Pacansky-Brock , where sheâ€™ll pull back the curtain on the classroom of the future…
- Speak Up 2008: A National Survey of Kâ€“12 Students, Teachers, Parents, and School Leaders
February 2, 2009
Since 2003, the Speak Up National Research Project has collected authentic feedback about technology and education from over 1.3 million Kâ€“12 students. Learn about the expectations of toda…
- Summary of the 2006 ELI Fall Focus Session
January 1, 2006
A narrative summary of the topics covered at the focus session's general sessions. A narrative summary of the topics covered at the focus session&…
- ELI 2005 Fall Focus Session, Discussion Group Materials
January 1, 2005
The ELI 2005 Fall Focus Session on informal learning space design involved three discussion group activities, each of which had an associated worksheet. The first group discussion addressed "E…
- Interaction: Principles and Practice - ELI Summer Session 2005
January 1, 2005
This report, based on the 2005 Summer Focus Session conducted by the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI), discusses the importance of aligning teaching and learning to the basic principles of how pe…
- NLII Meeting Notes: 2004 Summer Focus Session - Bridging Communities of Research & Practice to Transform Higher Education Teaching and Learning
January 1, 2004
This NLII focus session worked with representatives from the research and practitioner communities to seek multiple ways of describing and explaining learning in complex settings. A diverse group o…
- Conceptual Framework for Bridging Research and Practice
January 1, 2004
This session is designed to set the context and provide a shared conceptual framework for the rest of the day. We'll review the goals and purposes of the session, in particular the intended wo…
- Report Back: Learning Space Design Principles
January 1, 2004
At the NLII 2004 Fall Focus Session small groups reported back on their Learning Space Design Principles. At the NLII 2004 Fall Focus Session small gro…
- NLII Annual Meeting Notes 2001
January 1, 2001
An overview of the NLII annual meeting from January 2001. Includes notes on featured speakers and sessions. An overview of the NLII annual meeting from…