Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- What Leaders Need to Know About Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems
April 17, 2014
Student success has come into sharp focus for higher education. Outcome-based funding at the state level and a completion agenda at the national level are driving innovation throughout higher…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2013 Almanacs
February 27, 2014
These two-page, easy-to-scan summaries distill CDS data in a variety of categories that include IT Financing, IT Staffing, Support Services, and many other service areas. All Non-Speciali…
- The NACUBO/EDUCAUSE Working Group on Administrative Services and Systems
February 20, 2014
Higher education institutions generally face significant resource pressures and challenges to their traditional modes of operating, as well as the emerging need to renew or replace administrative…
- 2013 CDS Executive Summary Report
February 18, 2014
The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) provides higher education CIOs and senior IT leaders with the benchmarks they need to make strategic decisions about IT at their institutions. Each ye…
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report
February 12, 2014
Student success has come into sharp focus for higher education. New models have emerged in response to outcome-based funding at the state level and a completion agenda at the national lev…
- Beyond MOOCs: Is IT Creating a New, Connected Age? - Sprint Summary
December 12, 2013
This brief summarizes key themes from the EDUCAUSE Sprint 2013—“Beyond MOOCs: Is IT Creating a New, Connected Age?”—which was held July 30–August 1. Webinar presenters and more than 1,2…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Information Security Metrics
January 17, 2014
An information security metric is an ongoing collection of measurements to assess security performance , based on data collected from various sources . Information security metrics …
- The Future of Administrative IT
December 20, 2013
Colleges and universities are approaching a crossroads in administrative IT . Institutions cannot function without administrative systems , and many current systems are nearing the end of…
- Copyright Challenges in a MOOC Environment
July 29, 2013
The intersection of copyright and the scale and delivery of MOOCs highlights the enduring tensions between academic freedom, institutional autonomy, and copyright law in higher educ…
- The Connected Learning Environment
July 29, 2013
Connected learning environments are changing education, student engagement, and college completion. While e-learning often connotes delivery of information in a sequential, linear fashion, th…