Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Harnessing Diversity in Higher Education: Lessons From Texas
August 20, 2008
Ford Policy Forum 2006 contains the papers presented and discussed at the Ford Policy Forum, held during the Forum's 2005 Aspen Symposium. The Ford Policy Forum studies key economic iss…
- Bridging the Diversity Divide: A Necessary Challenge for Higher Education in the 21st Century
August 21, 2008
Forum Futures 2002 is a collection of summaries of the papers presented and discussed at the Forum's 2001 Aspen Symposium. Forum Fut…
- Diversities and Higher Education Racial, Economic, and Political
August 27, 2008
The 2005 Ford Policy Forum focused on racial, economic, and political diversity in higher education. Scholars include Marta Tienda, Shirley Ort, and Edwin Feulner. The monograph opens with an in…
- Forum Futures 2008
September 12, 2008
Forum Futures 2008 is a compilation of summaries of the papers presented and discussed at the Forumâ€™s 2007 Aspen Symposium. Papers address topics such as trends and risks shaping Ameri…
- Ford Policy Forum 2006
May 18, 2006
Ford Policy Forum 2006 contains the papers presented and discussed at the Ford Policy Forum, held during the Forum’s 2005 Aspen Symposium. The Ford Policy Forum studies key economic issues …
- Ford Policy Forum 2008
July 16, 2008
Ford Policy Forum 2008 contains the papers presented and discussed at the Ford Policy Forum, held during the Forumâ€™s 2007 Aspen Symposium.Â The Ford Policy Forum studies key economi…
- Endowment Spending: Goals, Rates, and Rules
January 1, 2005
The authors present their views on establishing more nuanced endowment spending rates and rules. The authors present their views on establishing more n…
- The Artful Brain
January 1, 2005
V.S. Ramachandran speculates about the artistic universals from a neuroscientist's point of view. V.S. Ramachandran speculates about the artistic …
- Educating the Brain: Lessons from Brain Imaging
January 1, 2005
John Gabrieli describes how the emergence of functional neuroimaging techniques offers unprecedented opportunities to discover how the brain learns and remembers. …
- Multimedia Scholarship for the 21st Century University
January 1, 2005
The authors focus on multimedia scholarship and the use of it to transform, expand, and bridge academic research, pedagogy, and publication. The author…