Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- New Technologies, Pedagogies, and Curriculum: A Practical Perspective
August 3, 2015
Key Takeaways The move from instructor- to learner-based education is a major paradigm shift that is both fueled and supported by advances in technology . To successful…
- Student and Faculty Perceptions of Telepresence Courses
July 20, 2015
Key Takeaways To deliver a high-quality learning experience to remote learning sites , Minnesota State University, Mankato, invested in telepresence-enhanced classrooms and then…
- CNI Podcast: Building a 3D Printer Lab at Northeastern University Libraries
July 6, 2015
cni15-yott.mp3 PODCAST …
- Emerging Technologies to Enhance Teaching and Enable Active Learning
August 3, 2015
Key Takeaways Providing dedicated space to engage faculty and students with emerging educational technologies while encouraging their exploration of the possibilities brings ab…
- DISCOVERe Hub: A Model for a High-Tech Tablet Support Desk
July 6, 2015
Key Takeaways This case study provides an inside look at how Fresno State designed, built, and managed a student support desk for tablet-based learning during its pilot year. …
- Students' Mobile Learning Practices in Higher Education: A Multi-Year Study
June 22, 2015
Key Takeaways Two university-wide surveys about students' mobile technology ownership and learning practices show that mobile device ownership is high and continues …
- Six Trajectories for Digital Technology in Higher Education
June 22, 2015
Six individual trajectories of digital technology are enabling the ambitious goal of a responsive, personalized digital learning environment for higher education. Malcolm Brown is…
- Expectations for the Next Generation Digital Learning Environment
June 24, 2015
A Response to Bloggers' Comments In early May, EDUCAUSE published a white paper that summarized its research on the successor to the learning management system (LMS). We …
- User Advocate: Product Management in Higher Ed
May 11, 2015
Key Takeaways Like its corporate counterpart, a higher education product manager is responsible for the entire service offering lifecycle , serving as a single point of contact.…
- Taming Application Sprawl
April 27, 2015
Key Takeaways Facing financial pressure during the great recession and the need to cut budgets , Cornell focused on reducing application support to achieve savings in the IT…