Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Integrated Planning & Advising for Student Success: After a Convening, Work Begins
October 30, 2015
iPASS stands for Integrated Planning and Advising for Student Success. There’s a lot behind the five-letter acronym and the name it stands for – and it means much more, for the students and f…
- Defeating Phishing and Spear-Phishing Tactics
October 15, 2015
Many phishing and spear-phishing attacks happen due to easy-to-access e-mail addresses. The average cost of a business e-mail compromise is $100,000. Learn to avoid damage from these types of soc…
- Competency Based Education Technology Challenges and Opportunities
October 12, 2015
Growth in competency-based education has been stymied by a lack of software support. The Technical Interoperability Pilot incorporates vendor engagement on finding solutions that work together se…
- Data-Intensive Science and Campus IT
September 28, 2015
Montana State University developed the Research Data Census to engage local research communities in dialogue about their data: size, sharing resources and behaviors, and interest in services. The…
- Leveraging Analytics in Community Colleges
September 14, 2015
This literature review, list of definitions, and resources provide a guide for community college leaders evaluating analytics for their institutional technology to promote student success. In the…
- Student Success: Everybody's Business, Especially IT
September 14, 2015
Improving student success requires seeing the whole system of undergraduate education in institutional data, and then working to integrate component parts to inform improvement. …
- Using Slack to Solve IT Communication Problems
August 31, 2015
The IT department at Emerson College needed a way to engage IT staff in important communications , but with the ability to segregate casual and business conversations and hosted offs…
- Wearable Technologies Gain Momentum in Higher Ed
September 21, 2015
Thanks to a device on her wrist, a colleague of mine knows when she’s had a restful night’s sleep as opposed to a more fitful one. Chances are, you know someone (or ARE someone) who …
- Data, Technology, and the Great Unbundling of Higher Education
August 17, 2015
Colleges and universities must address several critical issues in the years ahead in order to prepare for the next seismic change: the unbundling of higher education. …
- The Chief Data Officer in Higher Education
June 8, 2015
Key Takeaways The role of chief data officer meets two urgent needs on campus: leading data administration efforts and building analytics capacity to drive decisions with d…