Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office [x]
- EDUCAUSE Review [x]
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) (1)
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- The State of the Net is Strong
January 23, 2013
The Annual State of the Net Conference is held every January in Washington, D.C. Organized by the Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee , it brings together policymakers and a…
- Demystifying the Cloud for Policymakers
January 23, 2013
Adopters of cloud technologies recognize that it requires business decisions, risk management, and policy choices. At the Annual State of the Net Conference , EDUCAUSE Policy attempted to de…
- The Importance of Doing Enterprise (and Infrastructure)
October 17, 2012
...as Oscar Wilde well might have titled an essay about campus-wide IT, had there been such a thing back then. Enterprise IT it accounts for the lion's share of campus IT staffing, expenditu…
- The Credentialing Contradiction at the Heart of MOOCs
September 11, 2012
Writing in the September 11, 2012, edition of Inside Higher Education , David Touve, a professor at Washington and Lee University, discusses the credentialing contradiction inherent in th…