Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Videos [x]
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- The CIO Minute: What Drives Investment in Technology?
October 13, 2014
Eric Denna, CIO for the University of Maryland, talks about the four factors that drive investment in technology. Eric Denna, CIO for the Un…
- Teaching and Learning: Four Big Ideas for What’s Next
September 15, 2014
Kyle Bowen talks about four emerging concepts that help reimagine the dynamics of teaching and learning. Kyle Bowen talks about fou…
- The CIO Minute: Daryl Ford, Lesley University
August 25, 2014
In his role as CIO for Lesley University, Daryl Ford has learned to manage perception versus reality. In this quick take, Ford gives three tips for CIOs to get quick wins at their institution and…
- Challenges in ERP Strategy
July 14, 2014
Higher Education IT Leaders talk about some of the challenges around administrative systems strategy. Higher Education IT Leaders talk ab…
- The CIO Minute: Ravi Ravishanker
June 30, 2014
Ravi Ravishanker, CIO for Wellesley College, talks about MOOCs post-hype. Ravi Ravishanker, CIO for Wellesley College, talks about MOO…
- Bryan Alexander: A Digital Scholarship Scenario
June 16, 2014
Hear how digital scholarship could transform publications, offering the promise of greater engagement, wider dispersion, and deeper learning. …
- MIT's Micah Altman on Digital Scholarship
June 2, 2014
Micah Altman is director of research for MIT Libraries. In this interview he discusses how digital scholarship has unbundled scholarly works. . …
- The CIO Minute: Ted Dodds
May 19, 2014
Ted Dodds, CIO for Cornell University, talks about an important sequence in becoming a true leader: aspiration followed by action. …
- Technology and Language
March 18, 2014
Gardner Campbell talks about connecting technology and language with his students. Gardner Campbell talks about connecting technology and…
- EDUCAUSE 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues
March 24, 2014
A quick look at the 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues A quick look at the 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues. …