Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- iOffice 2.0: An Embedded SEVIS Solution
May 17, 2005
A session at the CUMREC 2005
iOffice communicates with SEVIS, a federal reporting system on international students and scholars, through an embedded Web browser that interacts with the SEVIS Web site and provides essential too…
- Balancing Security and Privacy in Times of Cyberterror
April 28, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE Western Regional Conference 2005
After the 9/11 terror attacks, the free world of cyberspace now includes walls, barriers, and checkpoints. How do we retain the benefits of an open Internet in the face of constant attacks? What…
Filter by Presentations
Filter by year
- 2005 [x]