Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Privacy vs. Security
January 1, 2007
"Even before all the details emerged in last week's mass shootings at Virginia Tech University, a specific chain of responses seemed certain: The university would announce an internal inv…
- A Unified Approach to Information Security Compliance
January 1, 2006
© 2006 M. Peter Adler EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 41, no. 5 (September/October 2006): 46–61 M. Peter Adler, JD, LLM, CISSP, CIPP, is the President of Adler InfoSec & Privacy Group LLC …
- Privacy & Compliance: Better Safe Than Sorry
January 1, 2005
A brief description of current privacy and compliance and why it's important for higher ed institutions to stay involved. A brief description of c…
- Civil Privacy and National Security Legislation: A Three-Dimensional View
January 1, 2003
Ã‚Â© 2003 Tracy Mitrano EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 38, no. 6 (November/December 2003): 52–62. Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution is there a harmonization-of-laws guarantee. As Chief Jus…