Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2012, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated February 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Privacy and the Connected Campus
May 21, 2013
As students, scholars, and administrators use today’s connected online tools , they leave behind a “ data exhaust ” that can reveal a surprisingly detailed picture of individual activi…
- Privacy and Information Management Forum
May 20, 2013
The 2013 Privacy and Information Management Forum (PIM) was held on Friday, May 10, 2013, at the George Washington University Law School. The forum is jointly sponsored by the George Washingt…
- The Student Unit Record System Returns?
May 13, 2013
As reported today in Inside Higher Ed , the Wyden-Rubio, and now Warner (D-VA), "Student Right to Know Before You Go Act" has shifted from its early stage concept of knitting…
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program
May 7, 2013
The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program (or to address gaps in their current offerings) including: Providing a structure o…
- ECPA Reform Bill Proceeds to Full Senate
April 25, 2013
Today, April 25, 2013, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted out of committee a bill to update the Electronic Communications Privacy Act ( ECPA ). On a voice vote, the Committee approved the E…
- Providing Private Cloud Services to Support HIPAA Compliance
April 17, 2013
A session at the Enterprise IT Leadership Conference 2013
HIPAA and HIPAA HITECH legislation requires our institutions to protect Electronic Personal Health Information (EPHI). University departments in the health sciences clearly have teaching, researc…
- IT Compliance Framework for Institutions of Higher Ed
April 16, 2013
A session at the Security Professionals Conference
Institutions of higher education are increasingly expected to comply with various regulatory requirements specifically focused at data privacy and protection. Sometimes there could be overlap in ef…
- Getting Started in Privacy: Recommendations from the Higher Education Chief Privacy Officers (HE-CPO)
April 1, 2013
Whether you are a Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) at your institution, have responsibility for privacy on your campus, or just want to learn more about becoming a privacy professional in higher educa…
- ECPA Reform Update: House Hearing and Senate and House Bills Introduced
March 20, 2013
ECPA reform is an important topic for Congress this session. Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has championed this reform and says that it is an important agenda item for…
- Privacy and Security Initiatives and Recommendations from the U.S. Department of Education
February 26, 2013
Key Takeaways At EDUCAUSE 2012, U.S. Department of Education speakers discussed new privacy and security initiatives, as well as offering recommendations on navigating privacy ef…