Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Privacy and Security are High on the Senate Judiciary Committeeâ€™s Agenda for the New Congress
January 18, 2013
On January 16, 2013, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, set out the agenda of the Judiciary Committee in the 113th Congress with updates to key legisla…
- FERPA Unconstitutional?
September 13, 2012
The executive director of a group that provides legal support and education for student journalists has posted an interesting analysis arguing that the Supreme Court's invalidation of the Me…
- Republican, Democratic Platforms Take Different Approaches on Technology Issues
September 11, 2012
Now that the Republican and Democratic Conventions are completed, let’s take a look at their respective platforms on broadband, internet, and information technology policies. While the Republ…
- Internet Privacy Legislation: What the White House, Federal Trade Commission, and the European Commission Are Recommending
May 22, 2012
On May 14, 2012, the Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee sponsored the discussion, “New Internet Privacy Legislation: What the White House, Federal Trade Commission and the Europe…
- SLDS Privacy/Security Resources - Privacy Technical Assistance Center
May 17, 2012
As states expand efforts to link K-12, postsecondary, and workforce data via state longitudinal data systems (SLDSs), it is important to understand the privacy and security challenges surrounding…
- FERPA Resources and Compliance--Family Policy Compliance Office
May 17, 2012
The U.S. Department of Education's Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO) oversees instituitonal compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). In addition to fie…
- The Federal Trade Commission Releases Its Final Report on Protecting Consumer Privacy
March 26, 2012
Today, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) released its long awaited consumer privacy report entitled, “ Protecting Consumer Privacy in an Era of Rapid Change .” The report calls on compa…
- The White House Releases Report on Consumer Data Privacy in a Networked World
February 23, 2012
The White House announced today a long awaited report on “Consumer Data Privacy in a Networked World: A Framework for Protecting Privacy and Promoting Innovation in the Global Digital …
- Not Without a Warrant
October 14, 2011
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986 (ECPA) is a federal statute that specifies standards for government monitoring of cell phone conversations and Internet communication…
- Status Update on Data Privacy Legislation
September 23, 2011
The Senate Judiciary Committee approved three bills on Thursday, September 22 nd aimed at setting national standards for security breaches involving personal data. The bills were the Pers…