Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Lawful Access: Issues and Challenges for Universities
April 7, 2011
This presentation will focus on the discrete types of legal process or demands that universities are likely to see from law enforcement and civil parties ; the types of situations when such de…
- Status Update on Data Privacy Legislation
September 23, 2011
The Senate Judiciary Committee approved three bills on Thursday, September 22 nd aimed at setting national standards for security breaches involving personal data. The bills were the Pers…
- Data Privacy Legislation: A Policy Brief
August 12, 2011
With the ubiquity of mobile devices and the increases in data breaches, Congress has responded with bi-partisan support for comprehensive privacy legislation. As of August 2011, 18 bills have …
- Common Ed. Data Standards v2 Comments Due Aug. 15
July 18, 2011
The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) posted for comment the initial draft of Version 2 of the Common Education Data Standards (CEDS) . As previously discussed , CEDS is a co…
- White House Set to Launch National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace
April 14, 2011
The White House is planning to release tomorrow, Friday, April 15th, the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) at an event to be held at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce …
- Letter to Internet Policy Task Force
June 7, 2010
A letter from EDUCAUSE to the Internet Policy Task Force. A letter from EDUCAUSE to the Internet Policy Task Force. …
- Government Access to Electronic Communicationsâ€”Updating the Rules
June 9, 2010
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) was a forward-looking statute when enacted in 1986. It specified standards for law enforcement access to e-mail and other electronic communication…
- "The Right to Be Let Alone"
February 4, 2010
© 2010 Kent Wada. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa…
- 21st Century Technology and Business Practices to be Subject of FTC Privacy Roundtables
September 29, 2009
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced plans to hold three roundtables that will focus on consumer privacy issues. According to the announcement, the purpose of the series of round…
- USA PATRIOT Act Back in the Spotlight, Again
September 24, 2009
Three provisions of the PATRIOT Act set to expire at the end of this year have been the focus of recent hearings and intense policy debates. Critics were anxious to learn whether or not the Obama…