Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- IT Compliance Framework for Higher Education
December 6, 2013
Key Takeaways Implementation of a university-wide IT compliance framework can prevent redundant effort and provide a way to benchmark IT compliance efforts against regulato…
- The Power of Privacy and the Passion to Build Something Better
January 20, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Power of Privacy and the Passion to Build Something Better
Privacy is a systems management and compliance issue, a unique and dynamic student and faculty requirement, and a topic of expanding innovative possibilities as an ever-present element in higher …
- Privacy and the Connected Campus
May 21, 2013
As students, scholars, and administrators use today’s connected online tools , they leave behind a “ data exhaust ” that can reveal a surprisingly detailed picture of individual activi…
- Getting Started in Privacy: Recommendations from the Higher Education Chief Privacy Officers (HE-CPO)
April 1, 2013
Whether you are a Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) at your institution, have responsibility for privacy on your campus, or just want to learn more about becoming a privacy professional in higher educa…
- Privacy and Information Management Forum
May 20, 2013
The 2013 Privacy and Information Management Forum (PIM) was held on Friday, May 10, 2013, at the George Washington University Law School. The forum is jointly sponsored by the George Washingt…
- ECPA Reform Bill Proceeds to Full Senate
April 25, 2013
Today, April 25, 2013, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted out of committee a bill to update the Electronic Communications Privacy Act ( ECPA ). On a voice vote, the Committee approved the E…
- Privacy and Security Initiatives and Recommendations from the U.S. Department of Education
February 26, 2013
Key Takeaways At EDUCAUSE 2012, U.S. Department of Education speakers discussed new privacy and security initiatives, as well as offering recommendations on navigating privacy ef…
- ECPA Reform Update
February 11, 2013
Recording of the January 29, 2013 call with Greg Nojeim, Senior Counsel at the Center for Democracy & Technology on the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) reform and its implication…
- ECPA Reform Update: House Hearing and Senate and House Bills Introduced
March 20, 2013
ECPA reform is an important topic for Congress this session. Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has championed this reform and says that it is an important agenda item for…
- EDUCAUSE Groups Briefed on ECPA Reform and Its Implications for Higher Education
February 11, 2013
As part of Data Privacy Month on January 29, 2013, Greg Nojeim , Senior Counsel at the Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT) and the Director of its Project on Freedom, Security &…