Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Tune In for EDUCAUSE Live! June 29: HIPAA Demystified
June 22, 2011
Join Patricia Patria (CIO, Becker College) on Wednesday, June 29 (1-2 pm EDT), for this free hour-long EDUCAUSE Live! session, “ HIPAA Demystified: A Simple Approach to Building a HIPAA Compl…
- Tune June 29 -- HIPAA Demystified: A Simple Approach to Building a HIPAA Compliance Program
June 22, 2011
This free hour-long session, “ HIPAA Demystified: A Simple Approach to Building a HIPAA Compliance Program ,” will provide a practical overview of how to comply with the game-changing HIPA…
- Chad Johnson
Director of Information Technology
William Mitchell College of Law
Saint Paul, Minnesota
- May 26, 2011: Congressional Internet Caucus State of the Mobile Net Conference
May 26, 2011
The Advisory Committee of the Congressional Internet Caucus is holding its 3rd Annual State of the Net Conference today. Follow the event on Twitter . …
- Report on Privacy and Security of State Longitudinal Data Systems (SLDSs)
May 23, 2011
As EDUCAUSE reported in April , the U.S. Department of Education (ED) posted a notice of proposed rule-making (NPRM) that would revise regulations under the Family Educational Rights and Priva…
- Developments to Watch: Common Education Data Standards (CEDS)
May 19, 2011
Over the last few years, the federal government has invested over a half-billion dollars in the development of statewide longitudinal data systems (SLDSs). (To learn more, see the National Center…
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 2011
May 18, 2011
Sen. Patrick Leahy (VT-Dem) introduced legislation to amend the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), which he authored in 1986 to protect the privacy of electronic communications. …
- Workshop 04A - Shades of Gray: How FERPA, Copyright, and Other Legal Issues Impact Technology Use in the Classroom
January 19, 2010
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2010
When working with technology in a classroom-from assigned readings to student submissions-there are important legal issues many people have never considered. How does FERPA impact technology in the…
- "The Right to Be Let Alone"
February 4, 2010
© 2010 Kent Wada. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa…
- ITRC Breach Report 2009 Final
January 13, 2010
ITRC collects information about data breaches made public via reliable media and notification lists from various governmental agencies. There are breaches that occurred in 2009 that never made pu…