Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Risk and Compliance: The Threat of Mission Not Accomplished
December 6, 2013
Following up on my last blog post, on governance , let me now tie in risk and compliance. CIOs certainly understand that GRC efforts and investments may not yield laudatory press release…
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row: Governance, Risk, and Compliance
December 6, 2013
Information technology is critical to higher education. But unless aligned with the institution’s goals and based on sound policies and procedures, information technology will not be trusted,…
- Governance Shutdown
November 21, 2013
The next issue of EDUCAUSE Review is focusing on governance, risk, and compliance (GRC). Within a CIO’s visible spectrum are many infrastructure and service items (i.e., the things th…
- What the Course Signals "Kerfuffle" is About, and What it Means to You
November 13, 2013
(Originally posted in a slightly altered form at e-Literate) A year or so ago I mentioned on my blog Hapgood that there were some oddities in data from Purdue's Course Signals res…
- Striving for Interdependence: Transparency Considerations when Expanding Globally
November 11, 2013
Rob Sparks Rob Sparks is vice president of Product Management and Strategy, Education, and Research, UNIT4 Business Software. The challenges in education and the opportunities e…
- "I haven't got all minute!"
November 5, 2013
At EDUCAUSE13’s opening general session, Sir Ken Robinson dropped many a funny line and entertaining anecdote—all while delivering a very direct message about how things have changed in our…
- And the Winners of the Breakthrough Models Academy Competition Were…All Twelve Teams
October 31, 2013
CloudU … ClassMob … U.Belong … WIL Academy … MapEd … Silicon Valley ed-tech startups, perhaps? In fact, these –and five other designs—are creations of the change agents who emer…
- Policy at EDUCAUSE 2013
October 30, 2013
Federal and campus-level policy issues impacting IT in higher education were hot topics at EDUCAUSE 2013. The Security Privacy, and Compliance and Data/Information Access and Manage…
- Educational Technology and the Sources of Innovation
October 28, 2013
Cross-posted from e-Literate . After reading an an excellent post by tech-blogger Jon Udell on innovation, I spent the weekend getting reacquainted with work of Eric von Hippel, the…
- Creativity and Technology at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
October 24, 2013
Returning from sunny and festive Anaheim and the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, Next Generation Learning Challenges staff can step back and look at the week’s events with our own next generation l…