Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Information Security Governance: Standardizing the Practice of Information Security
August 19, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the trend to use a variety of risk assessment frameworks and standards to create an information security program that is sufficiently comprehensive for colle…
- Final FERPA Rules Announced by Department of Education
December 9, 2008
The U.S. Department of Education, through its Family Policy Compliance Office , has issued its Final Rules on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The rules cover a variety …
- E08 Podcast: E-Mail: In or Out?
November 25, 2008
This forty-six minute podcast features a point-counterpoint session recorded at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference. The presentation, " E-Mail: In or Out? ," is a panel discussion on…
- A Solution Looking for a Problem
May 7, 2008
© 2008 Rebecca Gould and Elizabeth Unger. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License ( http://creat…
- Regulatory Compliance Training: Public Jobs, Private Data
April 15, 2008
This research bulletin details the procedures and processes undertaken by the University of Minnesota to ensure that all employees, from student workers and custodial staff through senior researc…
- U.S. Proposes New Rules on Student Privacy
March 24, 2008
"The federal law designed to protect the privacy of students’ educational records has been under scrutiny and stress from a variety of angles in recent years, most recently from those conc…
- Warning on Tuition, Shift on Accreditation
November 15, 2007
"If the Higher Education Act bill that House Democrats introduced late last week did not persuade college leaders that the issue of college prices is and will remain front and center on …
- Lessons Learned from the April 16, 2007, Tragedy at Virginia Tech
November 5, 2007
On April 16, 2007, a Virginia Tech student shot and killed 32 faculty and students and wounded 25 others before killing himself in an academic building on campus. The university is still dealing …
- Well, if They’re Already Using It ...
October 25, 2007
College representatives at Educause conference ponder outsourcing e-mail to Google and how to embrace students’ Facebook habits. College repr…
- A Fresh Look at FERPA
October 17, 2007
In light of recent incidents, and with another school year now under way, it’s a good time to remind ourselves of our obligations—and rights—under FERPA, the federal statute that governs th…