Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Next Gen Tools: Pre-Service Teacher Learning Collaborative
August 20, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on the pre-service teacher learning collaborative between Jacksonville State University and Piedmont City Schools t…
- Layered Approaches to Educational Technology
September 15, 2014
Key Takeaways This case study provides a glimpse of the layered approaches to university-wide educational technology training and course development (including online and blend…
- Working as a System for the Citizens of the State of Georgia
August 25, 2014
When it comes to the delivery of IT services, the 31 institutions of the University System of Georgia work together as a system to ensure the delivery of more-effective technology solutions at…
- Innovations Designed for Deeper Learning in Higher Education
August 21, 2014
Seven insitutions received $1.7 million from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) Building Blocks for College Completion grant program to scale innovations designed to promote deeper …
- Resources for Presidents and Senior Executives
September 3, 2014
These executive briefs are designed to help institutional leaders optimize the impact of IT in higher education. The Foundations offer a framework for considering higher education’s mo…
- Retaining Your IT Staff: Insights from the ECAR Workforce Study for Higher Education CIOs and IT Managers
August 14, 2014
Today’s higher education IT organization needs a “lean and mean” cadre of staff who possess skills that are both deep and broad. Recruiting and developing the right team is an endea…
- 7 Things You Should Know About IT Accessibility
August 13, 2014
IT accessibility is the ongoing process by which an organization ensures its current and future IT can be used effectively by everyone , including individuals with disabiliti…
- Evaluation Criteria for Enterprise Mobility Management Suites
August 13, 2014
Enterprise mobility management (EMM) suites provide multiplatform mobile device management resulting in lower risk and lower cost of ownership. EMM products are evolving to support app, security,…
- Maximizing Value in a Time of Change
August 12, 2014
In June 2014, nearly 150 higher education thought leaders representing both business operations and information technology met in Chicago, Illinois, to discuss challenges and opportunities for ad…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Lightboard
August 18, 2014
A number of colleges and universities are i mplementing lecture-recording tools in their video studios that allow instructors to face the camera while also writing on a transparent s…