Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- HIPAA Demystified: A Simple Approach to Building a HIPAA Compliance Program
June 29, 2011
The HIPAA/HITECH Act now requires any entity that handles protected health information (PHI) to report breaches , whether in paper or electronic form. For colleges and universities with em…
- Mobile Privacy Issues Come to Capitol Hillâ€”Appleâ€™s iOS4 to be Examined in Senate Hearing
May 9, 2011
On Tues., May 10, 2011, the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and the Law will meet on the theme of â€œProtecting Mobile Privacy: Your Smartphones, Tablets, Cell Phones an…
- Not Without a Warrant
October 14, 2011
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986 (ECPA) is a federal statute that specifies standards for government monitoring of cell phone conversations and Internet communication…
- Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
April 8, 2011
The Education Department has released a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The proposed regulations would give states the flexibi…
- Lawful Access: Issues and Challenges for Universities
April 7, 2011
This presentation will focus on the discrete types of legal process or demands that universities are likely to see from law enforcement and civil parties ; the types of situations when such de…
- Status Update on Data Privacy Legislation
September 23, 2011
The Senate Judiciary Committee approved three bills on Thursday, September 22 nd aimed at setting national standards for security breaches involving personal data. The bills were the Pers…
- Whatâ€™s on Washingtonâ€™s Technology Agenda?
September 9, 2011
Congress and other Washington policy makers have returned to work after the August recess where they face a number of technology policy issues. The Center for Democracy and Technology has publ…
- Data Privacy Legislation: A Policy Brief
August 12, 2011
With the ubiquity of mobile devices and the increases in data breaches, Congress has responded with bi-partisan support for comprehensive privacy legislation. As of August 2011, 18 bills have …
- Student Privacy (FERPA)
January 20, 2011
FERPA information concering distance education for North Carolina State University's DELTA program. FERPA information concering distance ed…
- Common Ed. Data Standards v2 Comments Due Aug. 15
July 18, 2011
The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) posted for comment the initial draft of Version 2 of the Common Education Data Standards (CEDS) . As previously discussed , CEDS is a co…