Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Two K-12 Grantees Recently Featured on Getting Smart blog
March 13, 2014
At first glance, Piedmont City Schools in rural Alabama and New York City’s Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School may not appear to have much in common. The former is a rural district working to b…
- The CIO Pipeline, Part 1: The Strategist vs. the Plumber Revisited
March 12, 2014
This will be the first in a three-post series related to the CIO Pipeline Challenge. Part 2 will address the need to broaden CIO recruitment into the “strategist” pipeline, and Part 3 will …
- Purposefully Repurposed: College for America Converts a CRM Tool Into a Learner-Centered LMS
March 5, 2014
Readers of NGLC’s blog are no strangers to Southern New Hampshire University’s College for America (CfA), the remarkably innovative competency-based degree program supported by NGLC that, in …
- EDUCAUSE Submits Letter to the FCC to Protect the Open Internet
February 28, 2014
On February 25, EDUCAUSE, the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), and the American Library Association (ALA) submitted comments to the Federal Communications Commission regarding the A…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
February 27, 2014
In January’s “Trending Now: Postsecondary” post, Kristen Vogt called attention to a Center for American Progress (CAP) report that pointed to competency-based credentials as a way to …
- The Operations – Concierge Divide
February 24, 2014
Of all the things I get to do at the University of Georgia, one of my favorites is my lunchtime reading clubs, which are groups of mid-career IT professionals who get together regularly to discus…
- NIST Releases Final Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity
February 19, 2014
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) released the initial version of its Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity on Wednesday, February 12. The …
- Activate Instruction Helps Summit Public Schools Personalize Learning
February 6, 2014
NGLC has embarked upon a new publication series, Next Gen Tools . Today, we share with you the first brief in the series, Next Gen Tools: Activate Instruction . Summit Publi…
- Aim for the Rectangle Outside the Box
February 4, 2014
by David Underwood David Underwood is an academic technology consultant for the University of Colorado Boulder. My first job after leaving art school back in the eighties was with t…
- Succeed You and Avenue Scholars Partnership: A Breakthrough Models Academy Design Meets the Real World
January 30, 2014
by Dr. Christine Pharr, College of Saint Mary If you want to attend a workshop that will keep you on the edge of your seat and challenge much of what you’ve ever believed about how to de…