Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Cybersecurity: Selected Legal Issues
July 23, 2012
The federal government’s role in protecting U.S. citizens and critical infrastructure from cyber attacks has been the subject of recent congressional interest. Critical infrastructure commonly …
- ECPA Amendment Letter
July 31, 2012
In this letter sent to Senate Majority Leader Reid and Minority Leader McConnell, EDUCAUSE joined with the Association of Research Libraries, businesses, and other trade associations to support …
- Policy Dimensions of Analytics in Higher Education
July 18, 2012
Rodney J. Petersen is Senior Government Relations Officer and Managing Director, Washington Office, for EDUCAUSE. The current higher education landscape is replete with demands for im…
- ECPA Amendment Adopted
September 21, 2012
On September 20, 2012, the Senate Judiciary Committee adopted an amendment that would require law enforcement officers to obtain a warrant in order to access the contents of email and other elect…
- ECPA Reform Tied to the Video Privacy Protection Act: Senate Mark-Up Set and EDUCAUSE Joins Letter in Support
September 14, 2012
The Senate Judiciary Committee will take action on September 20, 2012 on an update of the Video Privacy Protection Act( H.R. 2471 ), which the House passed in December 2011, and attach provisio…
- Privacy and Security Initiatives of the U.S. Department of Education
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
The U.S. Department of Education has launched several new privacy initiatives under the leadership of its first-ever chief privacy officer. Best known for enforcing the Family Education Rights an…
- FERPA Unconstitutional?
September 13, 2012
The executive director of a group that provides legal support and education for student journalists has posted an interesting analysis arguing that the Supreme Court's invalidation of the Me…
- Republican, Democratic Platforms Take Different Approaches on Technology Issues
September 11, 2012
Now that the Republican and Democratic Conventions are completed, let’s take a look at their respective platforms on broadband, internet, and information technology policies. While the Republ…
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act Modernization Act of 2012
August 18, 2012
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act Modernization Act of 2012 (H.R. 6339), sponsored by Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) and Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-MI), aims to bring legislation originally…
- The State of Federal Privacy and Data Security Law: Lagging Behind the Times?
August 6, 2012
On July 31, 2012, the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs held a hearing entitled, “The State of Federal Privacy and Data Security Law: Lagging Behind the Times?” …