Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Data Protection Contractual Language
August 18, 2009
The purpose of this resource is to provide sample contract language for common themes related to data protection as well as practical guidance as to when and how to consider the themes when draft…
- 21st Century Technology and Business Practices to be Subject of FTC Privacy Roundtables
September 29, 2009
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced plans to hold three roundtables that will focus on consumer privacy issues. According to the announcement, the purpose of the series of round…
- USA PATRIOT Act Back in the Spotlight, Again
September 24, 2009
Three provisions of the PATRIOT Act set to expire at the end of this year have been the focus of recent hearings and intense policy debates. Critics were anxious to learn whether or not the Obama…
- Report Card Gives Obama Administration Mixed Reviews on Privacy and Security
September 22, 2009
The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) released its Privacy Report Card for the Obama Administration with the following results: Consumer Privacy: Incomplete Medical Priv…
- Privacy Concerns About U.S. Database
November 19, 2008
College and student groups balk at proposal by Education Dept.â€™s inspector general to collect in a central database (and potentially share) massive amounts of personal information. …
- Insights on the Legal Landscape for Data Privacy in Higher Education
February 29, 2008
This opening address was presented at the University System of Maryland's Workshop on Data Privacy for Maryland Higher Education. This open…
- Wi-Fi 'illegal images' politician defends legislation
December 6, 2007
The Democratic sponsor of a bill forcing anyone with an open Wi-Fi connection to report illegal images--or pay fines of up to $300,000--says a recent Internet outcry over the legislation misses t…
- EDUCAUSE LIVE! Podcast: ID Theft Red Flags
October 23, 2008
This fifty-eight minute podcast features Naomi Lefkovitz, Attorney for the Division of Privacy and Identity Protection at the Federal Trade Commission. PowerPoint slides are also available fo…
- A Fresh Look at FERPA
October 17, 2007
In light of recent incidents, and with another school year now under way, it’s a good time to remind ourselves of our obligations—and rights—under FERPA, the federal statute that governs th…
- The Internet at Risk: The Need for Higher Education Advocacy
October 19, 2007
© 2007 James X. Dempsey. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ ). EDUCAUSE…