Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- David Weil Reflects on Career Development at the EDUCAUSE Institutes
July 9, 2013
David Weil is d irector of enterprise application services at Ithaca College. In this interview he discusses attending the Frye Leadership Institute in 2003, then returning ten years lat…
- Clayton Christensen: The Real Disruption for Higher Education
July 9, 2013
I found today, following a Tweet from my good friend Stephen Landry ( @landryst ), one of the more concise and powerful explanations from Clayton Christensen regarding the present challenges fo…
- Interview: Trent Batson On the Value of E-Portfolios
July 3, 2013
Trent Batson is President and CEO for the Association for Authentic, Experiential, and Evidence-Based Learning. In this interview by Jennifer Sparrow, Batson discusses the value and role of e-por…
- Designing Open Materials Intentionally for the Blended Classroom
July 1, 2013
One of the interesting things that is going on right now is that MOOC providers, unable to find a path to sustainability in the direct-to-consumer market, have now positioned themselves as provid…
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk
June 24, 2013
The 2013 Top-10 IT Issues list reflects the most current and pressing topics in higher education technology. The issues will likely come as no surprise to you, and are topics that EDUCAUSE has …
- Does It Really Take One to Be One?
June 20, 2013
I suspect many of us faced this issue earlier in our careers: How can I get a management position when employers are looking for prior management experience? Isn't this a bit of a chicken-…
- Major Provosts Embrace Online Learning
June 19, 2013
The real, near-term impact of the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) trend has begun to emerge. In response to the rapidly growing awareness and acceptance of online learning that MOOCs have gener…
- Trending Now: Postsecondary
June 14, 2013
Recent research on next gen learning explores MOOC effectiveness and what it takes to create a new model for postsecondary education. Editor’s Note: In this monthly series, NGLC staff shar…
- Universities and Libraries Offer a Plan for Public Access to Research
June 11, 2013
The Association of American Universities (AAU), the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), and the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) have collaborated to offer a plan to …
- WCET Testimony on Proposed Distance Ed. Federal Regulations
June 11, 2013
As previously reported , the U.S. Department of Education (ED) recently revived the regulatory process it began last summer to address financial aid fraud concerns related to distance educatio…