Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- House Cmte. Passes Bill on Higher Ed. Data Transparency
May 16, 2013
On a bipartisan voice vote that took place in record time yesterday, the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Education and the Workforce approved sending the "Improving Postsecondar…
- Trending Now: Postsecondary
May 16, 2013
MOOCs dominate recent news and reports in next generation learning, while Southern New Hampshire makes history with competency-based learning. Last month, Kristen Vogt inaugurated a month…
- The Student Unit Record System Returns?
May 13, 2013
As reported today in Inside Higher Ed , the Wyden-Rubio, and now Warner (D-VA), "Student Right to Know Before You Go Act" has shifted from its early stage concept of knitting…
- Why MOOCs are like Farmville, Part II
May 12, 2013
On January 18th, I laid out my concerns with Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs) , understanding their rapid ascent within the confines of Gartner’s Hype Cycle . In doing so, my purpose…
- SHEEO State Authorization Resources Updated
May 10, 2013
Sharmila Mann, a senior policy analyst at the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) association, issued the following announcement this week on SHEEO's freshly updated state au…
- ED Kicks Off Information Management Week with a Data Privacy Panel
May 7, 2013
The U.S. Department of Education's Office of the Chief Privacy Officer kicked off Information Management Week (May 7-9, 2013) with a keynote panel discussion on "Big Data, Small Data, A…
- Two Copyright Items of Note
May 7, 2013
On April 24, 2013, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert Goodlatte (R-VA) announced that the Committee would conduct a comprehensive review of U.S. copyright law over the coming months. The…
- NTIA Broadband Adoption Toolkit Unveiled at SHLB Conference
May 6, 2013
The Department of Commerce used the occasion of the annual conference of the Schools, Healthcare, Libraries and Broadband (SHLB) coalition to announce the release of a new NTIA Broadban…
- Incident Management and Response Checklist
May 6, 2013
Rather than waiting for a data breach to happen, consider using an incident checklist to establish a campus incident response team, review your institution's readiness, and develop (or a…
- Listening - The First Step of Many
April 30, 2013
When I was asked by EDUCAUSE to write a blog about the experiences of a first-time CIO, I was concerned that I wouldn't have enough to write about that would be of interest to the EDUCAUSE c…