Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Mobile Advising: Engage Students and Contain Costs
April 21, 2014
Key Takeaways This case study provides an example of how digital records and mobile technology improve communication between students, departments, and offices while reducing adm…
- The CIO Minute: Marla Botelho
April 7, 2014
Marla Botelho is chief information officer for Regis College. In this CIO Minute she talks about the value of IT in the changing landscape of consumerization. …
- 7 Things You Should Read About Intelligent Tutoring
April 1, 2014
An intelligent tutoring system is computer software designed to simulate a human tutor’s behavior and guidance and can assist students by posing questions, parsing responses, and …
- What Makes an Online Instructional Video Compelling?
April 7, 2014
Key Takeaways Video has supported education for many years, and in online courses instructional videos are often a key component . To learn more about compelling video, a team …
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century
March 19, 2014
In colleges and universities, the physical learning environment embodies an institution’s educational philosophy and priorities. Ideally, such environments are planned with considered attention…
- EDUCAUSE Top-Ten IT Issues Lists by Carnegie Classification
March 24, 2014
In 2012 and 2013, EDUCAUSE IT Issues Panel members both identified and prioritized the top-ten lists. For 2014, the EDUCAUSE membership was added to the process. Panel members identified an initi…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Games and Learning
March 11, 2014
Educators have long understood that the interactive dynamic of games has the potential to benefit teaching and learning , and recent years have seen considerable activity surrounding the u…
- Septris and SICKO: Implementing and Using Learning Analytics and Gamification in Medical Education
March 11, 2014
In recent years, the video game industry has become the leading form of entertainment in terms of global total revenue. More than half of Americans play video games, with an average of two gamers…
- EDUCAUSE Review: Print Edition, Volume 49, Number 2, March/April 2014
March 24, 2014
EDUCAUSE Review: Print Edition Volume 49, Number 2 March/April 2014 Features Top-Ten IT Issues, 2014: Be the Change You See by Susan Grajek and the 2013–…
- Comparing Methodologies for IT Risk Assessment and Analysis
March 7, 2014
This Gartner report can help institutions identify the most appropriate IT risk management methodology . It summarizes common IT risk management methodologies, highlighting attributes …