Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- News from the Hill: National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace
April 15, 2011
The White House released today the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) , a cybersecurity-based identity management vision and strategy. The strategy was relea…
- White House Set to Launch National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace
April 14, 2011
The White House is planning to release tomorrow, Friday, April 15th, the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) at an event to be held at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce …
- Tune In April 21: Privacy Attacks and Defenses
April 14, 2011
Our online privacy seems to be under assault from all sides: by commercial organizations, by the government, by search engines and ISPs, and even by our cell phones—not to mention by criminals.…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Privacy in Web 2.0 Learning Environments
September 7, 2010
New media, social networking, collaboration sites, image and video-sharing sites, wikis, and blogs offer tremendous teaching and learning opportunities to educators and students, but their use ra…
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on FERPA Addresses Use of Data in Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems
April 11, 2011
The U.S. Department of Education has issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) intended to "strike a balance between student records privacy and data availability" according to a …
- Tune In April 7 -- Lawful Access: Issues and Challenges for Universities
March 31, 2011
Colleges and universities are confronted by a variety of information requests from law enforcement and private parties. This free hour long EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar, “ Lawful Access: Iss…
- Controlling Spam and Phishing at Princeton University: A Case Study
January 16, 2013
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
This session will discuss how Princeton University tackled the seemingly insurmountable challenge of reducing spam and phishing in order to free up technology resources and focus on the school…
- The Use of Social Security Numbers in California Colleges and Universities
July 1, 2010
The author's stated intention was "to minimize both the collection and storage of [the SSN] at colleges and universities, given the odds of it being released to unauthorized viewers, b…
- Letter to Internet Policy Task Force
June 7, 2010
A letter from EDUCAUSE to the Internet Policy Task Force. A letter from EDUCAUSE to the Internet Policy Task Force. …
- Government Access to Electronic Communications—Updating the Rules
June 9, 2010
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) was a forward-looking statute when enacted in 1986. It specified standards for law enforcement access to e-mail and other electronic communication…