Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
January is Data Privacy Month
You know the importance of protecting personal identities and the effects social media can have on privacy, but does everyone on your campus? In 2013, during the month of January, EDUCAUSE expanded on Data Privacy Day to provide an entire month’s worth of activities and resources to help raise data privacy awareness. Visit the EDUCAUSE Data Privacy Month page for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of several privacy-related webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Updated July 2013
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- FTC Extends the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) Comment Filing Deadline to Dec. 23, 2011
November 22, 2011
The FTC’s comment filing deadline has been pushed back to Dec. 23, 2011, for the proposed update to the COPPA rules. See: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2011/11/coppa.shtm I previously discussed…
- FTC Proposes Updated Rule for the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) - Comment Filing Deadline is Nov. 28, 2011
November 14, 2011
COPPA gives parents control over what information websites can collect from their kids. If you operate a website designed for kids - or a website geared to a general audience, but it collects …
- Many States Collect Graduates’ Employment Information, but Clearer Guidance on Student Privacy Requirements Is Needed
September 27, 2010
Postsecondary education plays an important role in producing a skilled workforce able to compete in the global economy. Some stakeholders have suggested that collecting information on graduates…
- Administering Blended Programs: A Campus-Level Perspective
September 15, 2010
A session at the ELI 2010 Online Fall Focus Session
Launching and sustaining a blended learning program requires a rigorous instructional design process and faculty instructional support. Beyond the course experience, however, it also requires hig…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Privacy in Web 2.0 Learning Environments
September 7, 2010
New media, social networking, collaboration sites, image and video-sharing sites, wikis, and blogs offer tremendous teaching and learning opportunities to educators and students, but their use ra…
- Not Without a Warrant
October 14, 2011
The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986 (ECPA) is a federal statute that specifies standards for government monitoring of cell phone conversations and Internet communication…
- Status Update on Data Privacy Legislation
September 23, 2011
The Senate Judiciary Committee approved three bills on Thursday, September 22 nd aimed at setting national standards for security breaches involving personal data. The bills were the Pers…
- The Use of Social Security Numbers in California Colleges and Universities
July 1, 2010
The author's stated intention was "to minimize both the collection and storage of [the SSN] at colleges and universities, given the odds of it being released to unauthorized viewers, b…
- Letter to Internet Policy Task Force
June 7, 2010
A letter from EDUCAUSE to the Internet Policy Task Force. A letter from EDUCAUSE to the Internet Policy Task Force. …
- What’s on Washington’s Technology Agenda?
September 9, 2011
Congress and other Washington policy makers have returned to work after the August recess where they face a number of technology policy issues. The Center for Democracy and Technology has publ…