Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federated Identity Management
- Join InCommon Virtual Working Group Meetings, May 20-21
May 17, 2013
IAM Online , the monthly webinar series sponsored by InCommon, Internet2, and EDUCAUSE, has scheduled a special series of virtual working group meetings, May 20–21, 2013, to showcase key ide…
- Request for Comments on Multistakeholder Process To Develop Consumer Data Privacy Codes of Conduct
March 12, 2012
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) in the U.S. Department of Commerce has issued a Request for Public Comments in response to the report on consumer da…
- NSTIC to Establish a Steering Group that is Private Sector Led
February 21, 2012
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) National Program Office has issued its “Recommendations For Establishing An Identity Ecosystem Governance Structure.” …
- NSTIC Unveils $10 Million Program for Online Identity Pilot Programs
February 6, 2012
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) took a big step forward to gain confidence that there is more than just talk to the strategy by announcing a new Feder…
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011â€”Roadmap
June 1, 2011
This ECAR roadmap synthesizes the important issues and recommended actions drawn from the study Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011 , by Mark C. Sheehan and Cedric Bennett, with…
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011 Report
June 1, 2011
Key Findings Higher education has made substantial progress in the last five years, but many institutions are still struggling to deliver the full benefits of IdM. Institutions that report the…
- Responses to NSTIC Governance Notice of Inquiry
August 17, 2011
The national program office for the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) received more than 50 responses in July to the NSTIC Notice of Inquiry (NOI) which sought i…
- Change in Plans for Next NSTIC Workshop on Technologies and Standards
August 17, 2011
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace held two workshops in June following the launch of the strategy in April: a Governance workshop in Washington, D.C., and …
- Domain 12: Guidance for Identity & Access Management V2.1
October 5, 2010
This publication discusses the following major IAM functions that are essential for successful and effective management of identities in the cloud: Identity provisioning/deprovisioning …
- Privacy, Security, Interoperability, and Ease-of-Use Are Guiding Principles of NSTIC
April 15, 2011
The White House released today the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) .Â At an event held at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. attended by 200…