Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federated Identity Management
- 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management
September 10, 2009
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. With an enterprise identity management …
- An Interview with Microsoft's Tony Hey
December 12, 2005
In this 21 minute recording, I sit down with Tony Hey, Microsoft's VP for Technical Computing. Let's listen in as he compares e-science research in the US and UK, talks about the pr…
- An Interview with Susan Perry at CNI's 2005 Fall Task Force Meeting
December 13, 2005
In this 23 minute recording, we'll hear from Susan Perry about her work with CLIR , NITLE and Mellon . We'll also get her thoughts on preservation and stewardship of digi…
- Bring Your Own Credential: Providing Access to Campus Services with Social Identities (Google, Yahoo, Twitter)
October 17, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Social identities have become ubiquitous, and federated identity management continues to grow in popularity. Schools are looking at eliminating the creation of institutional credentials for groups …
- Business Value of Federated Login for Enterprises, Enterprise SaaS Vendors, and Consumer Websites
March 24, 2010
This presentation by Eric Sachs from Google was part of the RSA 2010 seminar, "Kantara: Technology, Policy, and Compliance for Identity Services in 2010 & Beyond". 2010 brings new o…
- Can't We All Just Get Along? Achieving Federated Identity Management at the University of California
April 4, 2005
A session at the Security 2005
The University of California has piloted a unified identity and access management infrastructure for the UC system, allowing campus users to access participating campuses services using their campu…
- Change in Plans for Next NSTIC Workshop on Technologies and Standards
August 17, 2011
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace held two workshops in June following the launch of the strategy in April: a Governance workshop in Washington, D.C., and …
- CIC Identity Management Conference Session: Federated Identity Management and Sharing Resources
January 1, 2006
A blog posting discussing the CIC Chief Information Officers conference on Identity Management. A blog posting discussing the CIC Chief Information Off…
- Cloud Computing Policy and Legal Issues
February 18, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southwest Regional Conference 2010
As institutions explore alternative IT sourcing strategies, including cloud computing, a variety of policy and legal issues must be carefully considered as part of the planning process. The privacy…
- Cloud Computing Policy and Legal Issues
March 16, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2010
As institutions explore alternative IT sourcing strategies, including cloud computing, there are a variety of policy and legal issues that must be carefully considered as part of the planning proce…