Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federated Identity Management
- Federated Identity Management
Federated Identity Management True Identity management re…
- Join InCommon Virtual Working Group Meetings, May 20-21
May 17, 2013
IAM Online , the monthly webinar series sponsored by InCommon, Internet2, and EDUCAUSE, has scheduled a special series of virtual working group meetings, May 20–21, 2013, to showcase key ide…
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Financial Aid Fraud and Identity Verification
June 4, 2012
EDUCAUSE submitted comments last week in response to a U.S. Department of Education (ED) notice about ED’s intent to hold a negotiated rule-making process later this year on financial …
- Help Your Research Faculty Collaborate More Efficiently with COmanage
October 17, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Research faculty today collaborate not only with colleagues across campus but also with peers from around the world. We will explore how a collaboration management platform (CMP) like COmanage can …
- Bring Your Own Credential: Providing Access to Campus Services with Social Identities (Google, Yahoo, Twitter)
October 17, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Social identities have become ubiquitous, and federated identity management continues to grow in popularity. Schools are looking at eliminating the creation of institutional credentials for groups …
- Request for Comments on Multistakeholder Process To Develop Consumer Data Privacy Codes of Conduct
March 12, 2012
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) in the U.S. Department of Commerce has issued a Request for Public Comments in response to the report on consumer da…
- NSTIC to Establish a Steering Group that is Private Sector Led
February 21, 2012
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) National Program Office has issued its “Recommendations For Establishing An Identity Ecosystem Governance Structure.” …
- NSTIC Unveils $10 Million Program for Online Identity Pilot Programs
February 6, 2012
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) took a big step forward to gain confidence that there is more than just talk to the strategy by announcing a new Feder…
- OMB Memo Urges Government to Leverage Externally-Issued Identity Credentials
January 4, 2012
A recent memo from the Federal CIO to the CIO's of Executive Departments and Agencies is welcome news to the advocates for federated identity management. The memo with the subject line…
- ED FSA Software Developerâ€™s Conference Focuses on Theme of Cybersecurity
November 28, 2011
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) Federal Student Aid (FSA) Software Developers Conference kicked off today with sessions on cybersecurity, identity management, and related topics of tru…