Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federated Identity Management
- Identity Management in Higher Education 2010 Survey Questionnaire
March 23, 2010
This March 2010 survey is a critical component of the 2010 EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) follow-up to its 2006 baseline study of identity management in higher education. The 2006 st…
- Student Success: Connecting Faculty, Counselors, and Students
May 30, 2013
A session at the Southeast Regional Conference
This session will show how the Student Success Plan (SSP) improves retention, academic performance, persistence, graduation rates, and time to degree. The open-source SSP case management software…
- New Directions in Federation
November 16, 2009
Federation technology has become a very important connective technology that enables efficient distributed identity management (IdM) and enhanced convenience for users. The trend toward outsource…
- Leadership Discussion: Identity and Access Management in Higher Education
May 29, 2013
A session at the Southeast Regional Conference
Has your campus established an enterprise strategy for identity and access management? Does your IAM architecture facilitate easy migration to the cloud? Is your IAM system standards-based and inte…
- Session Podcast: A Vision for Identity and Access Management in Higher Education
March 30, 2010
Access to electronic institutional resources requires a robust identity management system, including processes for federation of credentials and services. This session provides a vision for ident…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management
September 10, 2009
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. With an enterprise identity management …
- Supporting High-Value, High-Risk Cloud Services with Federated Identity Management
April 16, 2013
A session at the Security Professionals Conference
The community has good approaches for handling access to simple cloud or third-party services. But what about higher-value services that require access to sensitive data, such as medical or financi…
- Evolution or revolution: The future of identity and access management for research
May 22, 2009
Identity and access management have become central issues for the future of the web following the unprecedented growth in user-generated content, collaboration and social activity. This year&…
- Session: Connectionsâ€”Stories and Dreams of Federated Identity
November 25, 2009
A panel discussion from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Annual Conference entitled, " Connections: Stories and Dreams of Federated Identity ." Participants include: Lois Brooks , Director…
- Session: Lessons from the United Kingdom's Experience with Federated Access Management
November 24, 2009
A session from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Annual Conference, featuring Norman Wiseman , Head of Services and Outreach for the JISC - Joint Information Systems Committee . His session is, " Les…