Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federated Identity Management
- Shibboleth: Federated Identity Management
January 1, 2004
Shibboleth, a standards- and Web-based inter-institutional authorization architecture and software, enables federated resource sharing. This session will provide an overview of Shibboleth and feder…
- Implementing True Identity Management on Your Campus: Planning for Success (and Avoiding Critical Mistakes)
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Although identity management is a relatively mature concept, its true value to institutions may still not be entirely understood. Hear about the benefits attained by three institutions that have …
- E2006 Podcast:Leveraging Your Existing Campus Systems to Access Partner Resources
January 24, 2007
In this 38 minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference Session, we’ll hear from Robert Banz, John T. Harwood, Tracy Mitrano, and Oren Sreebny in a session entitled, “Leveragin…
- An Interview with Susan Perry at CNI's 2005 Fall Task Force Meeting
December 13, 2005
In this 23 minute recording, we'll hear from Susan Perry about her work with CLIR , NITLE and Mellon . We'll also get her thoughts on preservation and stewardship of digi…
- An Interview with Microsoft's Tony Hey
December 12, 2005
In this 21 minute recording, I sit down with Tony Hey, Microsoft's VP for Technical Computing. Let's listen in as he compares e-science research in the US and UK, talks about the pr…
- Preparing for an InCommon Silver Audit: Lessons from the First Phase
April 5, 2011
A session at the Security Professionals Conference 2011
Once a university is able to assert that it meets the InCommon Silver identity management standards, authorized campus users may use local credentials to access applications from institutions suc…
- What's Your Strategy? Using Federated Identity Management to Address the Challenges of Improving Privacy and Security
March 15, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2011
In this panel session we will explore strategies that several universities use to address the challenges of using federated identity management (IdM) to improve privacy and security. These strategi…
- Federated Identity: Your Key to Privacy, Security, and Access to Services
January 12, 2011
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2011
Access to the multitude of online information resources requires a robust identity and access management (IAM) infrastructure. A strategic focus and carefully planned approach to IAM can also incre…
- IAM Working Group Community Update
October 14, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
The Identity and Access Management Working Group provides community leadership on topics related to identity and access management, including policies, processes, technologies, and effective practi…
- Seminar 04A - Identity and the Cloud: Preparing Your Campus
October 12, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Managing security and privacy is an ongoing challenge, compounded by the expanding interest in software as a service (SaaS) and cloud computing. A growing number of campuses are turning to federate…