Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Analytics [x]
- Enterprise Information Systems [x]
- Information Systems and Services (55)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (55)
- Institutional Management (55)
- Data Administration and Management (27)
- Student Information Systems (23)
- Student Success (22)
- Teaching and Learning (21)
- Academic Analytics (19)
- Business Intelligence (BI) (18)
- Learning Analytics (17)
- Data Mining (13)
- Student Retention (13)
- Academic Information Systems (12)
- Data Warehouse (11)
- Instructional Technologies (9)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) (9)
- Student Learning Support (9)
- Planning (8)
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Join us for a free, EDUCAUSE Live! Game Changers Spotlight Series webinar that will explore the new, connected landscape we all must gingerly yet strategically navigate.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Bigfoot, Goldilocks, and Moonshots: A Report from the Frontiers of Personalized Learning
April 1, 2013
The creativity of higher education innovators has produced three categories of solutions with the potential to break the "iron triangle" of cost, quality, and access. …
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics
February 25, 2013
Optimizing student success is the “killer app” for analytics in higher education . Intelligent investments in optimizing student success garner wide support and have a strong, justifia…
- Using BI to Identify Revenue and Resource Reallocation
March 18, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
Like most institutions of higher education, Miami University is facing increasing financial pressures and demands. Miami University has decided to develop a new budget model that will result in the…
- Supporting Students: Academic Planning, Progress, and Learning Analytics
February 13, 2013
A session at the West/Southwest Regional Conference
Academic Progress Portal: Catching Students before They Fail The Academic Progress Portal (APP) is a web- and permissions-based, FERPA-compliant software that automatically integrates doze…
- Enterprise IT, E-Learning, and Transformation: Prospects in Higher Education
October 3, 2012
Which way to Millinocket? " Well, you can go west to the next intersection ," a Mainer explains, ". . . get onto the turnpike, go north through the toll gate at Augusta, …
- Austin Peay State University: Degree Compass
September 5, 2012
This case study from the EDUCAUSE book Game Changers describes the Degree Compass course recommendation system implemented at Austin Peay State University. The system adv…
- STAR: Using Technology to Enhance the Academic Journey
September 5, 2012
This case study from the EDUCAUSE book Game Changers describes the STAR Academic Journey online advising and degree attainment support system, implemented across the Universi…
- Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success
September 5, 2012
This case study from the EDUCAUSE book Game Changers describes two projects at Valencia College that focus on student progression and completion and learning outcomes. Li…
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland
August 13, 2012
Ronald G. Forsythe Jr. is Vice President of IT at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore; Fabio J. Chacon is Director of Academic Computing and Distance Education at Bowie State …
- Analytics for Enterprise Efficiency and Effectiveness
July 26, 2012
Analytics: A 3 Day Sprint - July 26th, 2012 How is analytics used in the enterprise area? What kinds of data governance, policies and infrastructure need to be in place to ensure effective…