Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Policy at EDUCAUSE 2013
October 30, 2013
Federal and campus-level policy issues impacting IT in higher education were hot topics at EDUCAUSE 2013. The Security Privacy, and Compliance and Data/Information Access and Manage…
- Policy Implications of Big Data and Analytics
August 13, 2012
EDUCAUSE Policy recently asked association representatives from ACE, AACC, NACUBO, AASCU, and NAICU what they think are the policy implications that arise with the increased use of big…
- That Was The Year That Was, 2011
January 9, 2012
So, what did the EDUCAUSE Policy group in Washington do in 2011? In general, we did what we've always done: worked closely with our campus constituents to understand and provide assistance…
- Lawful Access: Issues and Challenges for Universities
April 7, 2011
This presentation will focus on the discrete types of legal process or demands that universities are likely to see from law enforcement and civil parties ; the types of situations when such de…
- College and University Compliance Programs - NACUA Workshop, in collaboration with EDUCAUSE
August 30, 2011
College & University Compliance Programs: Organization and Key Compliance Obligations November 9–11, 2011 The Omni Shoreham, Washington, D.C. Program Description Th…
- Policy Focus at EDUCAUSE 2011
August 22, 2011
Do you work with policy on your campus, or deal with issues that are affected by policy? Do you want to know the latest federal and state legislation that could impact your institution? …
- The Use of Social Security Numbers in California Colleges and Universities
July 1, 2010
The author's stated intention was "to minimize both the collection and storage of [the SSN] at colleges and universities, given the odds of it being released to unauthorized viewers, b…
- Facebook 2.0
March 14, 2008
Â© 2008 Tracy Mitrano EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 2 (March/April 2008) Facebook 2.0 Tracy Mitrano Tracy Mitrano is the Director of Information Technology Policy and Comp…
- Guidelines for Working with Law Enforcement Agencies
July 30, 2007
Good Ideas Guidelines for Working with Law Enforcement Agencies Campus security officers must balance privacy and security issues in dealing with law enforcement agencies as part of their i…
- Privacy Statement
January 1, 2005
Southern Methodist University's privacy statement on the collection of internet use. Southern Methodist University's privacy statement on the…