Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Policy and Law [x]
- Campus Policy and Law [x]
- Acceptable and Responsible Use Policies (13)
- Privacy Policies (11)
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Policies (8)
- E-mail Policies (7)
- Security Policies (5)
- Data Privacy (3)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (3)
- Federal Privacy Law (3)
- Copyright (2)
- Intellectual Property (2)
- Privacy (2)
- 30363 (14)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (8)
- Cybersecurity (4)
- Domain Name Policies (3)
- Federal Policy and Law (3)
- Teaching and Learning (2)
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- MOOCsâ€”Key Legal and Policy Issues for Colleges and Universities
July 25, 2013
The National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), ACE, and EDUCAUAUSE held a webinar on July 25th, 2013 on the key legal and policy issues regarding massive open online course…
- Sensitive Regulated Data: Permitted and Restricted Uses
April 2, 2013
The University of Michigan engages in research, teaching, clinical, and business activities that encompass a variety of sensitive regulated data. This standard defines permitted and restricted us…
- University Policy Development and Publication
April 13, 2012
This document provides a framework for Northwestern University policy development. This document provides a framework for Northwestern University…
- The Use of Social Security Numbers in California Colleges and Universities
July 1, 2010
The author's stated intention was "to minimize both the collection and storage of [the SSN] at colleges and universities, given the odds of it being released to unauthorized viewers, b…
- The School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act of 2007
October 16, 2007
Recently in response to the tragedy at Virginia Tech, Chairman Patrick Leahy of the Senate Judiciary Committee has combined several pre-existing bills into a comprehensive package that would prov…
- Students for Free Culture
October 10, 2007
FreeCulture.org is an international chapter-based student organization that promotes the public interest in intellectual property and information & communications technology policy. …
- ResNet 2007 Program Proceedings
October 10, 2007
This site provides video and slides from the 2007 ResNet conference, held at UC, San Diego, June 23-27, 2007. This site provides video and slide…
- Bulk E-mail
January 1, 2006
Wayne State University's bulk E-mail policy for employees. Wayne State University's bulk E-mail policy for employees. …
- Student E-mail Communication Policy
January 1, 2005
The University of Oregon's student e-mail communication policy. This policy deals with official communicaiton from the school to the students. …
- Student Email Policies
January 1, 2005
Drake University student email policies. Issues include forwarding of email and storage. Drake University student email policies. Issues include forw…